Wood River Rural Schools Booster Club
The Wood River Rural Schools Booster Club is a committee interested in Wood River School activities and organizations with the following purposes:
- To provide support, cooperation, and inspiration to the student body
- To provide financial support toward the purchase of needed equipment, supplies and sponsorship not otherwise available.
- To bring together those persons interested in Wood River extra-curricular programs.
- To award annual scholarships to graduates, for further education.
For the past 20+ years the Booster Club has done one annual event to raise money for school programs. It is entirely dependent upon volunteer help so we thank you in advance for pitching in! We run a concession stand, called the Eagles Nest, at Husker Harvest Days (HHD). In case you’re not familiar with HHD, it’s one of the largest farm shows in the U.S. drawing thousands of people to central Nebraska mid-September each year. HHD is held just north of Wood River and Alda (9000 W. Husker Highway Wood River, NE if you want to find it). In a typical year with good weather the Eagles Nest raises thousands of dollars, all of which is reinvested throughout the year in Wood River High School’s facilities, organizations and student enrichment opportunities. Our school district is very fortunate to have this fundraising opportunity so we need to keep the project going from year to year.
PLEASE sign up now to work a shift during the 3 day event during the second week of September at:
The Booster Club needs the volunteer support of the students’ families (parent/guardian/grandparent) and community members in order to make this event successful!
Booster Club Board:
All patrons of the school district are welcome and encouraged to participate in Booster Club activities, including meetings throughout the school year. Booster Club meetings are put onto the school’s website calendar. Wood River Superintendent, Dr. James Haley, and Activities Director, Aub Boucher, represent the school on the Boost Club Board.
In addition, Booster Club officers are elected annually, which the current leadership below:
- President – Jodi Rauert
- President Elect – Marcia Almquist
- Past President- Sonya Schultz
- Treasurer- Liane Philmalee
- Treasurer Elect – Sherri Thienel
- Past Treasurer – Bev Stutzman
- Husker Harvest Days Chairperson – Marcia Almquist
- Husker Harvest Days Vice Chairperson – Sonya Schultz
- Husker Harvest Days Volunteer Coordinator- Sherri Thienel
- Husker Harvest Days Marketing/Ticket Sales – Jodi Rauert, Joyce Willoughby, Regina Rathman
- Board Members At Large: Sara Arnett, Jill Haley, Regina Rathman, Joyce Willoughby
To learn more about getting involved, please call Jodi Rauert at 308-380-7475 or reach out to any of the other board members. The Booster Club is always looking for parents with fresh ideas to join the board!
Booster Club’s Accomplishments:
Through dollars raised from the concession booth at Husker Harvest Days, the Booster Club was able to purchase the following items during the past five years:
- New outdoor pole signs with digital messaging at both the MS/HS and Elementary schools (Costs shared 1/3 each by Booster Club, Wood River Foundation, and Grace Koepp Foundation – thank you!)
- $10,000 toward new overhead lights in the MS/HS main gym
- $10,000 toward sound system upgrades in the MS/HS performing arts theater
- $5,000 toward new football field scoreboard
- Four $250 scholarships to graduating seniors annually
- Scholarships to send several HS students to state leadership conferences annually
- Planners for each MS student annually
- Financial support to bring down student costs to participate in band trip and Close-Up trip
- Sports equipment including golf bags and range finders, VB ACCU-Spike, sideline benches for FB field, weight room equipment, Cross Country Fun Run, track tent, high jump mats, pole vault poles, and , BB training equipment, FB headsets, VB video equipment, and wrestling clock
- Athletic uniforms for Track, VB, FB, BB and golf
- HUDL software purchase and Digital Scout subscription for exchanging scouting videos
- Uniforms, Pom Poms and camp fees for Cheer/Dance Squad plus dry cleaning the Eagle costume
- Funding for MS & HS band, choir and Show Choir annually
- Costume rental for All School Plays
- Financial and in-kind support for Post Prom event annually
- School song / sportsmanship banner in gym
- FFA and FBLA State Convention scholarships
- Senior banners hung in gym and photographer fee for graduation annually
- Purchased meat for Athletic and Academic Banquets annually
- Added WRRHS & Eagle logo fence sign at FB field entrance
- Support for WR TeamMates chapter
- New camera for Journalism department and annual yearbook ads
So you can see that virtually every student’s educational and extra-curricular experience is impacted by Wood River Booster Club’s efforts. Thank you for continuing the strong Booster Club legacy by volunteering.